Thursday, July 21, 2011

IT'S OVER!

It’s over. Done with. Finished. I’ve reached the end. Well, at least my first draft of my new non-fiction motivational book is complete. Last weekend I finally typed “The End” at the conclusion of the first draft. What a feeling of accomplishment.

I’m sure there will be edits, re-writes and times when I want to pull my hair out but I feel like I can do just about anything right now. True confession: It’s not easy for me to stick with something as long as a book. I get bored very easily and start looking for the next new adventure. Since this book will help motivate people, I thought of them and saw it through to conclusion. I had to chop the book into bite size components that I convinced myself were complete manuscripts. Even I could maintain concentration for a 3,000 word book. 

I wanted to scream many times. Oh wait, I DID scream many times. And cried when I sat staring at the blank computer screen wondering if words would ever come. I discovered that ice cream helps me think. At least that’s what I’m telling myself. And I talk to myself so much, I’ve now begun answering as well. I’m still trying to develop a better way to keep up with the many moving parts to the manuscript. Umm, is that the first chapter of the second draft or the second chapter of the first draft?

I learned a lot from my experience, mostly about me, my shortcomings and strengths. I was reminded that writing is a lonely, yet rewarding venture. I discovered I write better in public, like the Barnes and Noble Café than at home where there is laundry, food and a big flat screen TV. I also found out I can lay on the floor with my feet up on the wall and still type… if I attach my Netbook to my legs with a bungee cord (no, you should not ask).

It truly was bitter sweet typing those seemingly illusive words at the end of a completed manuscript. It had been a part of my life for months. We went everywhere together. My partner even woke me up in the middle of the night to share hair brained ideas. Yeah, I’m gonna miss him…


What about you? What challenges do you face with writing? Post it here. I’d love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment