Monday, July 4, 2011

Proud to be an American!

Today our nation celebrates its birthday. Centuries ago, men and women just like us wanted so desperately to live in the freedom which they believed was the right of all.

They fought, sacrificed, and gave their lives. We know of some of those heroes. They made the history books. The "Give me liberty or Give me Death" of Patrick Henry. The "The Redcoats are Coming" by Paul Revere. The flag stitching of Betsy Ross.

But what about John, Anthony, Mary and Victoria? Bo, Bubba and Jimmie? They are the unnamed souls who gave their lives so you and I...people they would never know... could write blogs on Independence Day in 2011.

I thank God for America. I'm proud to be an American. And I would die to maintain our freedom. Hooray for the Red, White and Blue. Hail to the heroes who died on the battlefields both here and abroad.

I grew up feeling the very heartbeat of America. It was a country where we pledged allegiance to the flag and stood for the National Anthem. Some would like to convince us that America is gone. But we watched together on 9/11 when our great nation fell under enemy fire. We saw the firefighters and police officers who, in the midst of the rubble, raised Old Glory in patriotic defiance to the terrorists who flew airplanes into our sacred land. And as the dusty American Flag flew above the pieces of towers that now served as tombs, it reminded us that we will rise above any act of tyranny, any attempt to crush our spirit, and every weapon that is formed against us.

The heartbeat of America is alive and well. I thank God I'm an American. My blood runs red, my devotion is true blue and my hope for America is pure white. To all the soldiers on the battlefield right now fighting

for my freedom, I salute you. For those who paid the ultimate price to ensure my nation is free, I memorialize you. For those who cannot see what an incredible nation we celebrate today, I pray for you.

America, America, God shed His grace on thee; and crown thy good with brotherhood; from sea to shining sea.

Happy Birthday America!

1 comment:

  1. Amen and Amen! Great post Reba.
    I am proud to be an American!

    ReplyDelete