Tuesday, November 2, 2010

HEY REEBS! THE PAGE IS BLANK!

That's what my computer screamed at me yesterday morning. You know, November 1st, the beginning of NaNoWriMo. I'd prepared. Studied. Prayed and even had a great story in my head.

I packed up my laptop and headed to Panera. Hemingway, Dickens, Hitchcock all wrote from Panera, right? I bought my bagel, filled my cup with Diet Pepsi, sat at my netbook and... and... umm...

Who even knew computers could talk?! Actually yell... and laugh, mock and otherwise taunt me. Blank computer screens have to be the worst form of torture for a writer. Worse than forcing a Texas gal to eat sushi or wear a cocktail dress.

I would have given up, chunked my computer in the river and gone back to bed but I heard a voice inside me. Terri Blackstock, best selling author was shouting, "Don't get it right. Get It Written!"

Oh yeah, that's right! My first draft is allowed to royally suck lemons. 2239 words came yesterday to start my NaNoWriMo word count. Not too bad for the first day jitters.

Day one of NaNoWriMo is now history. So is my blank screen paranoia. I'll never go back to my first time again. My first day is gone. Today is a new day. I must write today while it is, well, today.

More words... meaningful words all strung together in a way it makes readers want to read them. That's writing!

Courageously I sit at my computer screen and wait for the voices inside my head to dictate what I write. Day 2 is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment